From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] failure to login with xdm or gdm
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 15:28:25
1 On Fri, Jun 08 2012, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > Am 08.06.2012 16:22, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
4 >> Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
5 >> an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).
6 >>
7 >> With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen. Just the funny cursor going
8 >> round and round.
9 >>
10 >> With xdm, I do get the login screen, but both for me and for root,
11 >> after entering username/passwd the login box goes away for a few seconds
12 >> and then reappears.
13 >>
14 >> For both root and me .xsession-errors has just one line
15 >> /usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsession: line 71: exec: xsm: not found
16 >>
17 >> I do not have xsm merged on either the failed or working machine.
18 >> I will merge it now, but wonder why, if needed, update world didn't say
19 >> so.
20 >>
21 >> Any help would be appreciated.
22 >>
23 >> thanks,
24 >> allan
27 > From what you describe, it sounds more like X-Server crashing than XDM
28 > or GDM having a problem. Does `startx` work from the terminal?
29
30 Right. I tried xdm to rule out gdm. But your test is better and startx
31 does not work.
32
33 > Did you check the usual suspects (revdep-rebuild, re-emerging
34 > x11-drivers)?
35
36 I did revdep-rebuild after the emerge world, but did it again now and it
37 passes.
38
39 I just now remerged the drivers, no help.
40
41 I do have the new polkit walt mentioned and there are bug reports on it,
42 for example 42013.
43
44 thanks,
45 allan