From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running a program on a headless computer ?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:08:52
1 Randolph Maaßen <r.maassen60@×××××.com> [14-09-28 16:24]:
2 > On Sep 28, 2014 4:14 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I want to run programs, which insist on haveing a terminal
7 > > to write their status to and which are writing files which
8 > > their results on a headless computer (beaglebone).
9 > >
10 > > I tried things like
11 > >
12 > > my_program -o file.txt -parameter value > /dev/null &2>&1 &
13 > >
14 > > but this results in a idle copy of this process and a defunct
15 > > child.
16 > >
17 > > The program does not use X11 in any way...
18 > >
19 > > Is there any neat trick to accomplish what I am trying to do here?
20 > >
21 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
22 > > Best regards,
23 > > mcc
28 > I would suggest to run the program in a screen session, you can disconnect
29 > frim the session and reconnect later.
30 >
31 > http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
32 >
33 > --
34 > Best regards
35 > Randolph Maaßen
36
37 Hi Randolph,
38
39 ...the headless device will be booted and the programm will be startet
40 via a kind of autostart script. No human intervention is
41 wanted/possible...
42
43 Best regards,
44 mcc