From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running a program on a headless computer ?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:22:14
1 On Sep 28, 2014 4:14 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I want to run programs, which insist on haveing a terminal
6 > to write their status to and which are writing files which
7 > their results on a headless computer (beaglebone).
8 >
9 > I tried things like
10 >
11 > my_program -o file.txt -parameter value > /dev/null &2>&1 &
12 >
13 > but this results in a idle copy of this process and a defunct
14 > child.
15 >
16 > The program does not use X11 in any way...
17 >
18 > Is there any neat trick to accomplish what I am trying to do here?
19 >
20 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
21 > Best regards,
22 > mcc
27 I would suggest to run the program in a screen session, you can disconnect
28 frim the session and reconnect later.
29
30 http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
33 Best regards
34 Randolph Maaßen