From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 23:59:57
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 05:23:13PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> Then came the decision to move udev inside /usr, forcing the issue.
4 >> Now, it'd been long understood that udev *itself* hadn't been broken.
5 >> The explanation given as much as a year earlier was that udev couldn't
6 >> control what *other* packages gave it for rules scripts. OK, that's
7 >> not strictly udev's fault. That's the fault of packages being depended
8 >> on at too early a stage in the boot process. And, perhaps, hotplug
9 >> events for some devices _should_ be deferred until the proper
10 >> resources for handling it are available. I can think of at least a few
11 >> ways you could do that. And, yes, this was a problem systemd was
12 >> facing, and wasn't finding a way out of. (Why? I still don't know.
13 >> Maybe they didn't want to implement dependency declarations or demand
14 >> that packages impement partial functionality to reduce initial
15 >> dependencies.)
16 > You're stumbling upon it ... just keep hashing it out.
17 >
18 > The decision to write a new init system (systemd) and do things altogether
19 > differently is exactly what caused your previously referred to train wreck.
20 > And Kay Sievers collaborating with Lennart on this corrupted udev. Take those
21 > two prima donnas out of the udev destruction, and no such init problem exists
22 > today ... just as it didn't exist before then, for so many years.
23 >
24 > Linus didn't tolerate what they did to module and firmware loading:
25 >
26 > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303
27 >
28 > and he placed the blame squarely on Lennart and Kay where it belongs. To quote
29 > Linus Torvalds:
30 >
31 > "What kind of insane udev maintainership do we have? And can we fix it?"
32 >
33 > Bank on it ... he *will* keep these prima donnas from destroying it. There's
34 > quite the historical precedent for such.
37 I find it fitting that me and Linus agree on udev. ROFL I'm not alone
38 but still. ;-)
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!