From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 23:32:39
1 On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 05:23:13PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
2 >
3 > Then came the decision to move udev inside /usr, forcing the issue.
4 > Now, it'd been long understood that udev *itself* hadn't been broken.
5 > The explanation given as much as a year earlier was that udev couldn't
6 > control what *other* packages gave it for rules scripts. OK, that's
7 > not strictly udev's fault. That's the fault of packages being depended
8 > on at too early a stage in the boot process. And, perhaps, hotplug
9 > events for some devices _should_ be deferred until the proper
10 > resources for handling it are available. I can think of at least a few
11 > ways you could do that. And, yes, this was a problem systemd was
12 > facing, and wasn't finding a way out of. (Why? I still don't know.
13 > Maybe they didn't want to implement dependency declarations or demand
14 > that packages impement partial functionality to reduce initial
15 > dependencies.)
16
17 You're stumbling upon it ... just keep hashing it out.
18
19 The decision to write a new init system (systemd) and do things altogether
20 differently is exactly what caused your previously referred to train wreck.
21 And Kay Sievers collaborating with Lennart on this corrupted udev. Take those
22 two prima donnas out of the udev destruction, and no such init problem exists
23 today ... just as it didn't exist before then, for so many years.
24
25 Linus didn't tolerate what they did to module and firmware loading:
26
27 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303
28
29 and he placed the blame squarely on Lennart and Kay where it belongs. To quote
30 Linus Torvalds:
31
32 "What kind of insane udev maintainership do we have? And can we fix it?"
33
34 Bank on it ... he *will* keep these prima donnas from destroying it. There's
35 quite the historical precedent for such.
36 --
37 Happy Penguin Computers >')
38 126 Fenco Drive ( \
39 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^