From: Wynn Wolf Arbor <wolf@××××××.systems>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bitwarden, anyone?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 18:06:52
1 On 2020-06-14 18:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Yes; this is what I get:
3 >
4 > $ ./Bitwarden*/opt/Bitwarden/bitwarden
5 > A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
6 > Uncaught Exception:
7 > Error: /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.QkN0cP: failed to map segment from shared
8 > object
9 > --->8
10
11 From what I remember this is caused by having /tmp mounted with noexec.
12 Sadly the app tries to execute a process directly from within the
13 temporary directory and fails. Try something like this to confirm:
14
15 mkdir $HOME/.cache/bitwarden-tmp
16 TMPDIR=$HOME/.cache/bitwarden-tmp ./Bitwarden*/opt/Bitwarden/bitwarden
17
18 To see whether you've mounted /tmp with noexec: mount | grep /tmp
19
20 Should give something like this:
21
22 tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
23
24 Note that having /tmp mounted with noexec is usually a good idea. I used
25 to create a wrapper script that launched these kinds of app with a
26 special TMPDIR.
27
28 > I haven't played with java before, so I'm trying to follow the gentoo
29 > wiki. My first question is whether I need a jdk as well as a jre. The
30 > wiki talks blithely about virtual machines, and I'm left to guess
31 > whether the jre is the jvm, as it seems. I'm currently installing
32 > openjre and openjdk; icedtea-bin is also installed.
33
34 The JRE is the Runtime Environment. It includes all things necessary to
35 run a compiled Java program (so it does indeed include the JVM). The JDK
36 is the Development Kit - it includes the JRE, but also ships with the
37 javac compiler and a few other tools. So, if you intend to just run an
38 already compiled Java program (usually in the form of a .jar), you just
39 need the JRE. If you need to compile Java programs, you should instead
40 install the JDK (and can remove the JRE fully).
41
42 Regardless of that, JavaScript is not Java [1]. There's no need for the
43 JRE if you want to run JavaScript code. The Bitwarden desktop app does
44 not need a JRE or JDK.
45
46 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript#Java
49 Wolf