From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bitwarden, anyone?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:20:17
1 On Sunday, 14 June 2020 19:06:36 BST Wynn Wolf Arbor wrote:
2 > On 2020-06-14 18:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Yes; this is what I get:
4 > >
5 > > $ ./Bitwarden*/opt/Bitwarden/bitwarden
6 > > A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
7 > > Uncaught Exception:
8 > > Error: /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.QkN0cP: failed to map segment from
9 > > shared object
10 > > --->8
11 >
12 > From what I remember this is caused by having /tmp mounted with noexec.
13 > Sadly the app tries to execute a process directly from within the
14 > temporary directory and fails. Try something like this to confirm:
15 >
16 > mkdir $HOME/.cache/bitwarden-tmp
17 > TMPDIR=$HOME/.cache/bitwarden-tmp ./Bitwarden*/opt/Bitwarden/
18 bitwarden
19
20 That was a good idea - but it didn't help, so that's not the answer.
21
22 > To see whether you've mounted /tmp with noexec: mount | grep /tmp
23 >
24 > Should give something like this:
25 >
26 > tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
27 >
28 > Note that having /tmp mounted with noexec is usually a good idea. I used
29 > to create a wrapper script that launched these kinds of app with a
30 > special TMPDIR.
31 >
32 > > I haven't played with java before, so I'm trying to follow the gentoo
33 > > wiki. My first question is whether I need a jdk as well as a jre. The
34 > > wiki talks blithely about virtual machines, and I'm left to guess
35 > > whether the jre is the jvm, as it seems. I'm currently installing
36 > > openjre and openjdk; icedtea-bin is also installed.
37 >
38 > The JRE is the Runtime Environment. It includes all things necessary to
39 > run a compiled Java program (so it does indeed include the JVM). The JDK
40 > is the Development Kit - it includes the JRE, but also ships with the
41 > javac compiler and a few other tools. So, if you intend to just run an
42 > already compiled Java program (usually in the form of a .jar), you just
43 > need the JRE. If you need to compile Java programs, you should instead
44 > install the JDK (and can remove the JRE fully).
45
46 That makes sense, and I'd supposed it to be so. It would be helpful if the
47 wiki said so.
48
49 > Regardless of that, JavaScript is not Java [1]. There's no need for the
50 > JRE if you want to run JavaScript code. The Bitwarden desktop app does
51 > not need a JRE or JDK.
52
53 Yes, I understand that.
54