From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:48:44
1 On 06/15/2017 06:21:44 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > > Try increasing verbosity of the e2fsck....
4 > >\u200b
5 > > And why would you trust some random ms windows ext4 driver in RW
6 > mode?
7 > >\u200b
8 > > --
9 > > Joost
10 >
11 > Increasing verbosity doesn't help much :-/
12 > e2fsck -v /dev/sdb1
13 > e2fsck 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)
14 > 64gb: recovering journal
15 >
16 > e2fsck: No such device or address while trying to re-open 64gb
17 >
18 > 64gb: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********
19 >
20 > I had copied bunch of picture from my box into largest USB disk I
21 > could
22 > find on my desk, little I realized that that disk had been format to
23 > ext4.
24 > When I went to presented it (I had only Windows box available) and had
25 > to use some kind of "ext" driver from http://www.ext2fsd.com/ to read
26 > the disk on Windows.
27 >
28 > --
29 > Thelma
32 This looks like a hardware failure. You could try to use
33 sys-fs/ddrescue
34 to recover all / most files.
35 If this doesn't work as expected, you can try to use app-admin/testdisk.
36
37 Then you can format the drive and copy the files back.
38
39 P.S. Have you used the "save eject feature" of Windows before
40 disconnection the drive from your PC?
41
42 (Cheap) USB sticks are by no means a safe data storage.
43
44 If you don't change any data while the drive is attached to Windows try
45 using a stick with a write protection toggle.
46 If you have to write to the drive from Windows it would be better to
47 format it as NTFS which can be read/written on Linux.
48
49 Helmut