From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 17:24:08
1 On 06/15/2017 10:48 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 06/15/2017 06:21:44 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 [snip]
7 > This looks like a hardware failure. You could try to use sys-fs/ddrescue
8 > to recover all / most files.
9 > If this doesn't work as expected, you can try to use app-admin/testdisk.
10 >
11 > Then you can format the drive and copy the files back.
12 >
13 > P.S. Have you used the "save eject feature" of Windows before
14 > disconnection the drive from your PC?
15 >
16 > (Cheap) USB sticks are by no means a safe data storage.
17 >
18 > If you don't change any data while the drive is attached to Windows try
19 > using a stick with a write protection toggle.
20 > If you have to write to the drive from Windows it would be better to
21 > format it as NTFS which can be read/written on Linux.
22 >
23 > Helmut
24
25 I don't really need any of the files that were on this USB stick.
26 I was trying to recover the ext4 file system on this USB but it didn't work.
27
28 I was under impression that ext4 file system was much better (not prone
29 to these kind of damages) but I was wrong.
32 Thelma