From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:08:22
1 On June 15, 2017 7:24:09 PM GMT+02:00, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 >On 06/15/2017 10:48 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >> On 06/15/2017 06:21:44 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>
5 >[snip]
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> This looks like a hardware failure. You could try to use
9 >sys-fs/ddrescue
10 >> to recover all / most files.
11 >> If this doesn't work as expected, you can try to use
12 >app-admin/testdisk.
13 >>
14 >> Then you can format the drive and copy the files back.
15 >>
16 >> P.S. Have you used the "save eject feature" of Windows before
17 >> disconnection the drive from your PC?
18 >>
19 >> (Cheap) USB sticks are by no means a safe data storage.
20 >>
21 >> If you don't change any data while the drive is attached to Windows
22 >try
23 >> using a stick with a write protection toggle.
24 >> If you have to write to the drive from Windows it would be better to
25 >> format it as NTFS which can be read/written on Linux.
26 >>
27 >> Helmut
28 >
29 >I don't really need any of the files that were on this USB stick.
30 >I was trying to recover the ext4 file system on this USB but it didn't
31 >work.
32 >
33 >I was under impression that ext4 file system was much better (not prone
34 >to these kind of damages) but I was wrong.
35 >
36 >--
37 >Thelma
38
39 Ext4, and any other filesystem, is only as reliable as the implementation.
40
41 Using a random, rarely tested, implementation is often a bad idea.
42
43 Simply unplugging a USB drive can easily kill the entire filesystem. If I see a person simply pulling it out without ejecting first will never get one of mine...
46 Joost
47 --
48 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.