From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 19:29:17
1 On Thursday 15 Jun 2017 11:24:09 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I was under impression that ext4 file system was much better (not prone
4 > to these kind of damages) but I was wrong.
5 >
6 > --
7 > Thelma
8
9 If you remove the USB disk while the PC is accessing it, the electrical
10 discharge across the physical contacts of the USB connector can cause terminal
11 damage to the onboard chipset controller.
12
13 If you're lucky only partial corruption of the filesystem occurs and the USB
14 disk can be used again. If you are very lucky and no I/O operations were
15 being performed at the time the USB will suffer no damage. I try to remember
16 to unmount the USB before I remove it, but I had to learn this the hard way.
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick