From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 23:16:13
1 On 06/15/2017 12:28 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > If you remove the USB disk while the PC is accessing it, the electrical
3 > discharge across the physical contacts of the USB connector can cause terminal
4 > damage to the onboard chipset controller.
5 >
6 > If you're lucky only partial corruption of the filesystem occurs and the USB
7 > disk can be used again. If you are very lucky and no I/O operations were
8 > being performed at the time the USB will suffer no damage. I try to remember
9 > to unmount the USB before I remove it, but I had to learn this the hard way.
12 This is the first I've heard of this. I have witnessed our staff at
13 working plugging something in and having static discharge fry a USB
14 stick, but I've never seen that happen while unplugging.
15
16 I tell staff to touch the computer case before plugging it in first.
17 When a user fries one I asked if they touched the case first and the
18 answer is always "no".
19
20 Dan