From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e2fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 08:52:10
1 On Thursday 15 Jun 2017 16:16:04 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 06/15/2017 12:28 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > If you remove the USB disk while the PC is accessing it, the electrical
4 > > discharge across the physical contacts of the USB connector can cause
5 > > terminal damage to the onboard chipset controller.
6 > >
7 > > If you're lucky only partial corruption of the filesystem occurs and the
8 > > USB disk can be used again. If you are very lucky and no I/O operations
9 > > were being performed at the time the USB will suffer no damage. I try to
10 > > remember to unmount the USB before I remove it, but I had to learn this
11 > > the hard way.
12 > This is the first I've heard of this. I have witnessed our staff at
13 > working plugging something in and having static discharge fry a USB
14 > stick, but I've never seen that happen while unplugging.
15 >
16 > I tell staff to touch the computer case before plugging it in first.
17 > When a user fries one I asked if they touched the case first and the
18 > answer is always "no".
19 >
20 > Dan
21
22 Yes, ESD can fry anything up, including you MoBo. I've damaged a CPU once
23 because I was working on a nylon carpet without wearing a ESD wrist band. I
24 thought I had earthed on the chassis at the time, but it seems I moved enough
25 on the carpet to cause an ESD. :-(
28 Regards,
29 Mick