From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:58:43
1 On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 02:49:56 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> > They ensure that there is an sshd configuration file and
5 >> > give a meaningful message (including where to find the sample) if it
6 >> > is not present, and check for the presence of the hostkeys (again
7 >> > which are needed) and create them if they are not present. Your 9
8 >> > lines of sshd.service do none of this.
9 >>
10 >> That is completely true. I also think that those checks does not
11 >> belong into the init script: I think the configuration file presence
12 >> should be guarantee by the package manager at install time, and so the
13 >> creation of the hostkeys.
14 >
15 > sshd is a bit of a special case. Think like CDs, like SystemRescueCD. If
16 > the keys were created at installation time, every CD would have the same
17 > keys, which is not particularly desirable.
18
19 I prefer "counterexample" to "special case" ... I don't like calling
20 things "special cases" because it suggests that they're somehow more
21 privileged than anything else, and unnecessarily weighs against
22 software which hasn't been written yet.
23
24 A similar case which falls into the same kind of circumstance:
25 per-host IDs in mass-deployment scenarios. You see this in large
26 arrays of similar systems; 'sbc-a3d6' 'sbc-a3d9' 'sbc-7721' ... Heck,
27 applying something like that to live installation media would be nice;
28 not having every new install called simply 'gentoo' by default would
29 be very helpful in installfest scenarios. Identical hostnames screw
30 with DHCP-driven DDNS updates. I ran into that on my home network.
33 :wq