From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] At last! A Qt5 version of KMail-2 - but here be dragons!
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 09:51:31
1 On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 09:28:25 +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > >>I
4 > >> usually throw a dice to decide between US and UK whenever I get
5 > >>asked.
6 > >
7 > >As a native English speaking pedant, I would throw "a die" or "some
8 > >dice"
9 > >to decide, dice is the plural :P
10 >
11 > I stand corrected. Always thought the word was both singular and plural.
12 >
13 > Probably because most games with dice have more then 1.
14
15 More likely because most English speakers also get it wrong.
16
17 Julius Caesar's "the die is cast" makes more sense once you know the
18 difference. Otherwise it sounds like he was referring to a manufacturing
19 process that wasn't invented until centuries later.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 MIPS: Meaningless Indication of Processor Speed