From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:22:33
1 Daniel Troeder schrieb:
2 > Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 15:26 +0100 schrieb Florian Philipp:
3 >
4 >> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
5 >>
6 >>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Joerg Schilling
7 >>> <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >> [...]
13 >>
14 >>> As for my photos, I can back all the collection to a single DVD (and
15 >>> to a second one, since I keep hearing that DVD-Rs are unreliable), and
16 >>> since I don't take new photos every week, this solution is fine.
17 >>>
18 >> A second DVD-R won't solve the problem because optical disks degrade
19 >> over time and the second one will degrade just as fast as the first.
20 >> What you need to do is to check the disks periodically (once a year is a
21 >> good time frame).
22 >> I myself would add a textfile with md5sums for all files to the DVD so
23 >> you don't have to check them visually.
24 >>
25 > You can buy so called "archival grade" DVD-Rs that should work for 10-20
26 > years in a good environment. There are hugh differences between
27 > products. In germany you can buy very good ones from Verbatim for around
28 > 2€/disk.
29 >
30 > Also keep your photos on 2 HDDs (in different places), and copy them to
31 > new HDDs when you buy new ones. Nowadays you buy new HDDs every 2-3
32 > years or so, and normally the old ones should not have failed until then
33 > (at least not 2 disks on the same sectors).
34 > The MD5/SHA-checks should be done before copying to the new disks, so
35 > you can be sure to copy only healthy files.
36 >
37 If you decide to store dvds for 20 years it would be wise to store a pc
38 with it. Who knows if there a dvd readers or ide / sata connections
39 available then ;-)
40 Everybody who has data to protect should really store them in two
41 different places which do not burn down at the same time (there can be a
42 flood / earthquake ... [what I want to say: The places really should be
43 different!])
44 Yes check the backup before storing it. I once hat a useless backup. All
45 the files showed up but they only used some k. Thank god I had a second
46 backup which was fine.
47 If you only take photos randomly, you also can use cds, if the size is
48 big enough. And espacialy for photos hard copys are very nice. One even
49 can show them to grandparents ... ;-)
50
51 kh