From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:12:45
1 Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 15:26 +0100 schrieb Florian Philipp:
2 > Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto schrieb:
3 > > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Joerg Schilling
4 > > <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >> James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > [...]
8 > > As for my photos, I can back all the collection to a single DVD (and
9 > > to a second one, since I keep hearing that DVD-Rs are unreliable), and
10 > > since I don't take new photos every week, this solution is fine.
11 >
12 > A second DVD-R won't solve the problem because optical disks degrade
13 > over time and the second one will degrade just as fast as the first.
14 > What you need to do is to check the disks periodically (once a year is a
15 > good time frame).
16 > I myself would add a textfile with md5sums for all files to the DVD so
17 > you don't have to check them visually.
18 You can buy so called "archival grade" DVD-Rs that should work for 10-20
19 years in a good environment. There are hugh differences between
20 products. In germany you can buy very good ones from Verbatim for around
21 2€/disk.
22
23 Also keep your photos on 2 HDDs (in different places), and copy them to
24 new HDDs when you buy new ones. Nowadays you buy new HDDs every 2-3
25 years or so, and normally the old ones should not have failed until then
26 (at least not 2 disks on the same sectors).
27 The MD5/SHA-checks should be done before copying to the new disks, so
28 you can be sure to copy only healthy files.