From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] updates
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:40:58
1 hrmm...
2 I recompile the new kernel, before rebooting, I run module-rebuild list...
3 and get one entry - "=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4"
4
5 So, I reboot the new kernel, and get no Ethernet, no wireless, no sound,
6 nonvidia, and the vga mode is wrong. (the grub entry is an exact copy of
7 the previous kernel).
8
9 After the reboot, I run module-rebuild list, thinking that I would see all
10 of those packages... nope. Only nvidia kernel.
11
12 I'm missing something, here.
13
14 Any input is appreciated.
15
16 JD
17
18 -----Original Message-----
19 From: Roy Wright [mailto:royw@×××××.com]
20 Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:12 PM
21 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
22 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates
23
24 John Dangler wrote:
25
26 >Holly~
27 >
28 >Thanks for the reply. It seems fairly straightforward. From reading this,
29 >I would think that running module-rebuild populate would be the first task.
30 >Add/Del package would be for building discriminate versions of a kernel
31 >(presumably for locating problems or just testing out a kernel revision),
32 >list is simply a list of what's been 'populate'd, toggle would have similar
33 >usage as Add/Del, except that it would allow/disallow a package which has
34 >been 'populate'd, and rebuild would be the heart of the reason for this
35 >utility, to rebuild a set of modules into a new kernel. Assuming I'm at
36 >least somewhat correct in this, my only point of confusion is whether I
37 >compile the new kernel first, then run module-rebuild? Or does running
38 >module-rebuild 'rebuild' allow me to compile the new kernel, link it, and
39 >reboot into it?
40 >
41 >Regards,
42 >
43 >JD
46 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20051024-newsletter.xml
47
48 Under "Tips and tricks".
49
50 Basically just:
51
52 # module-rebuild list
53 # module-rebuild rebuild
54
55 I noticed that if you do another "list" after the "rebuild", the
56 same modules show as needing rebuild. Then after a reboot
57 the "list" shows clean. So I'm assuming the "list" is against
58 your running kernel.
59
60 HTH,
61 Roy