From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:19:33
1 John Dangler wrote:
2
3 >Holly~
4 >
5 >Thanks for the reply. It seems fairly straightforward. From reading this,
6 >I would think that running module-rebuild populate would be the first task.
7 >Add/Del package would be for building discriminate versions of a kernel
8 >(presumably for locating problems or just testing out a kernel revision),
9 >list is simply a list of what's been 'populate'd, toggle would have similar
10 >usage as Add/Del, except that it would allow/disallow a package which has
11 >been 'populate'd, and rebuild would be the heart of the reason for this
12 >utility, to rebuild a set of modules into a new kernel. Assuming I'm at
13 >least somewhat correct in this, my only point of confusion is whether I
14 >compile the new kernel first, then run module-rebuild? Or does running
15 >module-rebuild 'rebuild' allow me to compile the new kernel, link it, and
16 >reboot into it?
17 >
18 >Regards,
19 >
20 >JD
23 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20051024-newsletter.xml
24
25 Under "Tips and tricks".
26
27 Basically just:
28
29 # module-rebuild list
30 # module-rebuild rebuild
31
32 I noticed that if you do another "list" after the "rebuild", the
33 same modules show as needing rebuild. Then after a reboot
34 the "list" shows clean. So I'm assuming the "list" is against
35 your running kernel.
36
37 HTH,
38 Roy