From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] updates
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:57:21
1 Holly~
2
3 Thanks for the reply. It seems fairly straightforward. From reading this,
4 I would think that running module-rebuild populate would be the first task.
5 Add/Del package would be for building discriminate versions of a kernel
6 (presumably for locating problems or just testing out a kernel revision),
7 list is simply a list of what's been 'populate'd, toggle would have similar
8 usage as Add/Del, except that it would allow/disallow a package which has
9 been 'populate'd, and rebuild would be the heart of the reason for this
10 utility, to rebuild a set of modules into a new kernel. Assuming I'm at
11 least somewhat correct in this, my only point of confusion is whether I
12 compile the new kernel first, then run module-rebuild? Or does running
13 module-rebuild 'rebuild' allow me to compile the new kernel, link it, and
14 reboot into it?
15
16 Regards,
17
18 JD
21 -----Original Message-----
22 From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
23 Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 2:35 PM
24 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
25 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] updates
26
27 John Dangler schreef:
28 >
29 >> John Dangler schreef:
30 > Holly Bostick schreef:
31 >
32 >> I'm trying to get a definitive answer to this - when I want to
33 >> install a new kernel, I know that there are certain packages that
34 >> will not come back, Is there a way to setup a list of these based
35 >> on what I have installed on my current Gentoo kernel to make emerge
36 >> world easier?
37 >
38 > There is, in fact, now a tool to do this;
39 >
40 > eix module-rebuild * sys-kernel/module-rebuild Available versions:
41 > 0.1 0.5 Installed: 0.5 Homepage:
42 > http://www.gentoo.org/ Description: A utility to rebuild any
43 > kernel modules which you have installed.
44 >
45 > Thanks for the reply. I found the package on portage, but couldn't
46 > locate any docs for how to use it... I'm googling for it atm, but if
47 > you can point me towards any docs on this I'd really appreciate it.
48 > I've been waiting for something like this for a while.
49 >
50 module-rebuild --help
51 /usr/sbin/module-rebuild: illegal option -- -
52
53 Oh, apparently --help is not enabled; but if you run it either with no
54 options or an 'illegal' option, you get the 'proper usage help', as is
55 standard for most Linux command-line probrams.
56
57 module-rebuild [options] action [category/package]
58 Version: 0.5
59
60 Where options are:
61 -X - Emerge based on package names,
62 not exact versions.
63 -C - Disable all coloured output.
64
65 Where action is one of:
66 add - Add package to moduledb.
67 del - Delete a package from moduledb.
68 toggle - Toggle auto-rebuild of Package.
69 list - List packages to auto-rebuild.
70 rebuild - Rebuild packages.
71 populate - Populate the database with any
72 packages which currently install
73 drivers into the running kernel.
76 Do you need more than that? It's a pretty simple module atm.
77
78 Holly
79 --
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list