From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 14:37:51
1 On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 8:51 AM Spackman, Chris <chris@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > udisksctl power-off --block-device /dev/sdx
4 >
5 > I didn't see that command mentioned in the thread yet. I've been using
6 > it, after umount, for about 8 months for roughly weekly backups and
7 > some misc storage. So far, I've not seen any problems with it. The drive
8 > immediately shuts down, and there haven't been any data or performance
9 > issues.
10 >
11 > But because no one else has mentioned it, I wonder udisksctl is not the
12 > best tool in this case?
15 I suspect that running this command will either not power off the
16 drive in this case, or if it does it will have the exact same impact
17 as pulling the plug. If the drive is unmounted then the kernel has
18 received guarantees from the drive that all data is written
19 persistently. It is unlikely that a drive will lose the data after
20 this point, but if has some bug then short of a firmware update I
21 doubt there is any reliable workaround short of leaving it on forever.
24 Rich