From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:55:56
1 On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:57:57 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > The point of the news item is not to make it work now, it already
4 > > does. The advice is there to help you get your system into a state
5 > > where it won't stop working when the next stage of the switch occurs.
6
7 > I get that but that didn't make much sense either. I ended up using
8 > trial and error to get the setting correct since the news item and the
9 > link wasn't much help. About all it did was let me know that there was
10 > a change but as to helping understand that change, not much help there
11 > if any.
12
13 It made sense to me. To paraphrase:
14
15 Using LINGUAS sucks so we are phasing it out in favour of L10N.
16
17 So set L10N to whatever LINGUAS is currently set to, with one change
18
19 We are using newer style naming with country codes, so replace _ with -
20 in things like en_GB.
21
22 That's it. If the odd package wants to rebuild, it's because that package
23 had already moved over to use L10N, so the last update would have built
24 it with all languages.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Windoze95 Quote: Why is the Pentium 166 so fast? - Its for booting
31 faster, if Windows crashed again.