From: Keith Dart <keith@×××××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 01:14:04
1 === On Thu, 09/24, walt wrote: ===
2 > In other words, disk manufacturers have apparently decided to abandon
3 > strict quality control in favor of low price, and seem happy to
4 > replace failed drives as a substitute for quality control. It must
5 > be a profitable strategy because they all seem to be doing it.
6 ===
7
8 Yes, it's kind of sad. But I guess it makes some sense due the pace of
9 innovation they become obsolete before they usually break.
10
11 For example, I have some IBM Deskstar disks that are really high
12 quality. They have been running non-stop for 10 years now! It's really
13 amazing. However, they are "only" 9 GB disks that won't even hold a
14 full bells-and-wistles Gentoo installation.
17 -- Keith Dart
21 Keith Dart
22 <keith@×××××××××.biz>