From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:47:43
1 On 09/24/2009 12:29 PM, Dale wrote:
2
3 > USB. There is another idea. Ooops, out of USB plugs too. Crap, I
4 > can't put in a drive without buying something to plug it into. LOL I
5 > do have USB 2.0 on here. I have to have 2.0 for the printer but my
6 > camera has to have 1.0. Weird I know.
7
8 There are so many interesting posts in this thread I don't know which
9 one to reply to :o) Just FYI, USB 3 has just been ratified, so we can
10 expect ultra-fast USB-3 drives in the (near?) future, which should be as
11 fast or faster than SATA-II.
12
13 The point I really want to make is regarding your question about which
14 disk drive to buy. I have drives from three different manufacturers at
15 the moment, and they are all superb and incredibly cheap -- but that low
16 cost comes at a price (does that make any sense?).
17
18 I've had to return two drives in the last three years or so because of
19 catastrophic failure while still under warranty (amazing!). In both
20 cases the replacement drives have been absolutely perfect for years now.
21
22 In other words, disk manufacturers have apparently decided to abandon
23 strict quality control in favor of low price, and seem happy to replace
24 failed drives as a substitute for quality control. It must be a profitable
25 strategy because they all seem to be doing it. But be prepared for drive
26 failures from *every* manufacturer -- and then buy whatever is on sale for
27 the lowest price.