From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:29:28
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> kashani wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>> Dale wrote:
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>>> Hi,
16 >>>>>>
17 >>>>>> I recently got DSL and youtube is growing on me. LOL I been trying to
18 >>>>>> find a really good hard drive that is around 400 to 500Gb and pretty
19 >>>>>> fast. It has to be a IDE drive, you know, the big wide cables. I don't
20 >>>>>> have SATA on this rig.
21 >>>>>>
22 >>>>>> I have a Maxtor that I like and is pretty fast but it appears they are a
23 >>>>>> little hard to find nowadays. In matter of importance: size, price,
24 >>>>>> speed. Newegg is great but will consider others as well.
25 >>>>>>
26 >>>>>> Thanks for any pointers. Open to ideas.
27 >>>>>>
28 >>>>>>
29 >>>>> SATA PCI card should be < $20. I'd then go with a SATA II drive.
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> kashani
32 >>>>>
33 >>>>>
34 >>>>>
35 >>>>>
36 >>>> I been looking at these cards on newegg. I haven't had a SATA drive
37 >>>> before and confess I don't know a lot about them. They are faster and
38 >>>> have little bitty cables. I'm looking at this one:
39 >>>>
40 >>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003
41 >>>>
42 >>>> I notice that it has two internal and two external connectors. Can I
43 >>>> assume that the "eSATA" means external or is that something else?
44 >>>>
45 >>>> Also while I have the link and you are most likely looking at it, is
46 >>>> this a good fast card? It appears to be a pretty recent revision since
47 >>>> it also says SATA II.
48 >>>>
49 >>>>
50 >>> Honestly, for $50 you can probably buy a new motherboard that has SATA
51 >>> built-in. :)
52 >>>
53 >>> This one is normal PCI and has 4 ports for $10 less cost, using
54 >>> SIL3124 chipset which should work fine in Gentoo: N82E16816124028
55 >>>
56 >>> As far as speed, I think PCI will be the ultimate bottleneck,
57 >>> especially if you ever attach more than 1 drive. But it should at
58 >>> least not be slower than your IDE, and access times should be nice and
59 >>> quick.
60 >>>
61 >>> For the alternative of cheap SATA-to-IDE adapter I was thinking of
62 >>> something like this:
63 >>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537
64 >>>
65 >>>
66 >>>
67 >>>
68 >> I looked at the one that is $10.00 cheaper but it only has internal
69 >> connectors. I may have to have a external drive one day soon. I'm
70 >> about full on the 3.5' slots and I hate those little 3.5" to 5 1/4"
71 >> adapters. They always give me grief.
72 >>
73 >> I see what you mean on the little adapter. Wouldn't be any faster tho
74 >> would it? Wish they had that at newegg too. I cold order both at the
75 >> same time. o_O It is CHEAP too.
78 > DealExtreme is in Hong Kong so it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks to get
79 > things from there to here (in USA), but the prices are ridiculously
80 > low and they have just about everything when it comes to small
81 > adapters and USB gizmos.
82 >
83 > For external drives it might be easier to use USB (assuming you have
84 > USB 2.0 on that system). It might even be faster than eSata through a
85 > PCI card. I have an external USB hard drive and get consistantly
86 > around 35MiB/sec read and write speed...
91 USB. There is another idea. Ooops, out of USB plugs too. Crap, I
92 can't put in a drive without buying something to plug it into. LOL I
93 do have USB 2.0 on here. I have to have 2.0 for the printer but my
94 camera has to have 1.0. Weird I know.
95
96 Dale
97