From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:21:49
1 On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> kashani wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Dale wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> Hi,
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I recently got DSL and youtube is growing on me. LOL I been trying to
12 >>>>> find a really good hard drive that is around 400 to 500Gb and pretty
13 >>>>> fast. It has to be a IDE drive, you know, the big wide cables. I don't
14 >>>>> have SATA on this rig.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> I have a Maxtor that I like and is pretty fast but it appears they are a
17 >>>>> little hard to find nowadays. In matter of importance: size, price,
18 >>>>> speed. Newegg is great but will consider others as well.
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>> Thanks for any pointers. Open to ideas.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>> SATA PCI card should be < $20. I'd then go with a SATA II drive.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> kashani
25 >>>>
26 >>>>
27 >>>>
28 >>> I been looking at these cards on newegg. I haven't had a SATA drive
29 >>> before and confess I don't know a lot about them. They are faster and
30 >>> have little bitty cables. I'm looking at this one:
31 >>>
32 >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124003
33 >>>
34 >>> I notice that it has two internal and two external connectors. Can I
35 >>> assume that the "eSATA" means external or is that something else?
36 >>>
37 >>> Also while I have the link and you are most likely looking at it, is
38 >>> this a good fast card? It appears to be a pretty recent revision since
39 >>> it also says SATA II.
40 >>>
41 >>
42 >> Honestly, for $50 you can probably buy a new motherboard that has SATA
43 >> built-in. :)
44 >>
45 >> This one is normal PCI and has 4 ports for $10 less cost, using
46 >> SIL3124 chipset which should work fine in Gentoo: N82E16816124028
47 >>
48 >> As far as speed, I think PCI will be the ultimate bottleneck,
49 >> especially if you ever attach more than 1 drive. But it should at
50 >> least not be slower than your IDE, and access times should be nice and
51 >> quick.
52 >>
53 >> For the alternative of cheap SATA-to-IDE adapter I was thinking of
54 >> something like this:
55 >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537
60 > I looked at the one that is $10.00 cheaper but it only has internal
61 > connectors. I may have to have a external drive one day soon. I'm
62 > about full on the 3.5' slots and I hate those little 3.5" to 5 1/4"
63 > adapters. They always give me grief.
64 >
65 > I see what you mean on the little adapter. Wouldn't be any faster tho
66 > would it? Wish they had that at newegg too. I cold order both at the
67 > same time. o_O It is CHEAP too.
68
69 DealExtreme is in Hong Kong so it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks to get
70 things from there to here (in USA), but the prices are ridiculously
71 low and they have just about everything when it comes to small
72 adapters and USB gizmos.
73
74 For external drives it might be easier to use USB (assuming you have
75 USB 2.0 on that system). It might even be faster than eSata through a
76 PCI card. I have an external USB hard drive and get consistantly
77 around 35MiB/sec read and write speed...