From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VQF deprecated?
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:02:51
1 On Thursday 10 April 2008, Mateusz A. Mierzwiñski wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I just wan't to know, why software such as amarok don't go way, like
5 > winamp - more formats available for playing because of plugins?
6
7 Dunno. You should ask the amarok developers why they chose the
8 architecture they did. Or you could try gstreamer?
9
10 > SO
11 > libraries are also dynamic linked, so why I don't have any player for
12 > VQF format?
13
14 Maybe no-one has written one. It won't be written until someone care
15 enough to write it.
16
17 > I must emulate Winamp with wine to play VQF of course
18 > with better sound quality with DSP plugins like 3D Spatial Sound. My
19 > god! This is Linux - best operating system on the world, why software
20 > producers are so closed to world? Wining with Windows is endless
21 > future. XMMS was playing VQF but XMMS was removed from portage
22 > because some bugs (what software don't have one).
23
24 XMMS was removed from portage because it was a huge monolithic piece of
25 crap. Upstream ABANDONED the project years before, no-one had touched
26 the ebuild for ages and no-one was prepared to maintain it. And, just
27 to top everything off, it wouldn't build.
28
29 > I know that OGG is
30 > better, or even MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3) but VQF in 80kbps is still
31 > lossless compresion - MP3 and OGG not, and I like to listen good
32 > quality music with all tones, even not heared. PS: human ear
33 > toleration is little part different for different people - MP3 and
34 > OGG is not good compression for audiophiles.
35
36 Mateusz, this is the wrong place to vent your frustrations and have a
37 rant. The people here will help you take something that exists and get
38 it running. They are not the devs, and no-one here has influence with
39 the devs.
40
41 I suggest you code the necessary plugins yourself. That's how this best
42 operating system in the world got to be the best - someone like you
43 needed it to do something and wrote the code to do it.
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
52 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list