From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:07:39
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 01/27/2011 09:41 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> I noticed the same thing with mine. It used a LOT of ram. I have 4Gbs
4 >> and it was up to about 3Gbs at one point and using some swap as well.
5 >> I'm hoping to max out to 16Gbs as soon as I can. May upgrade to a 6 core
6 >> CPU too.
7 >>
8 >> I wonder how much faster it would be if the work directory is put on
9 >> tmpfs? With 16Gbs, that should work even for OOo.
12 > Btw, if you're using more instances than the amount of CPUs, the
13 > result will be slow-down.
14 >
15 > With the default kernel scheduler, best if amount of CPUs + 1. (On a
16 > 4-core, that's -j5).
19 I just used -j with no number. It worked fine and I played Solitaire
20 and checked my email while it was running. The only thing I noticed was
21 it using swap. That could slow things down but otherwise, it worked fine.
22
23 I do have the nice and ionice settings in make.conf tho. That helps a
24 lot for sure. Without those, it would likely slow down a lot.
25
26 Dale
27