From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 07:19:00
1 On Thursday 27 January 2011 23:53:04 Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > On 01/27/2011 09:41 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> I noticed the same thing with mine. It used a LOT of ram. I have 4Gbs
5 > >> and it was up to about 3Gbs at one point and using some swap as well.
6 > >> I'm hoping to max out to 16Gbs as soon as I can. May upgrade to a 6 core
7 > >> CPU too.
8 > >>
9 > >> I wonder how much faster it would be if the work directory is put on
10 > >> tmpfs? With 16Gbs, that should work even for OOo.
11 > >
12 > > Btw, if you're using more instances than the amount of CPUs, the
13 > > result will be slow-down.
14 > >
15 > > With the default kernel scheduler, best if amount of CPUs + 1. (On a
16 > > 4-core, that's -j5).
17 >
18 > I just used -j with no number. It worked fine and I played Solitaire
19 > and checked my email while it was running. The only thing I noticed was
20 > it using swap. That could slow things down but otherwise, it worked fine.
21 >
22 > I do have the nice and ionice settings in make.conf tho. That helps a
23 > lot for sure. Without those, it would likely slow down a lot.
24
25 Which settings do you use for that?
28 Joost