From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/portage/patches
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 15:23:26
1 Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 11:28, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It does it every time here. It did it just the other day. In the error
4 >> emerge spits out, it even says something about permissions and that's
5 >> when I remember to go change it. After that, it works fine. Maybe it
6 >> is not world readable or something. I dunno. I just know I have to
7 >> change it before it works. Now that I think about it, it started doing
8 >> that when I began using Krusader as my file manager. Maybe it is
9 >> something to do with that. I don't recall any of the other portage
10 >> files needing that.
11 > Maybe your default umask has changed, or Krusader has its own default.
12 > Just type umask in a terminal to see what it's set to.
13 >
14 > Cheers,
15 > Arve
20 I get this in a Konsole.
23 root@fireball / # umask
24 0022
25 root@fireball / #
28 I'm not sure how to check what Krusader is set too.  I did do this tho.
29 I created a test file within Krusader, named test.file, and got this in
30 Konsole:
33 root@fireball / # ls -al /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file
34 -rw------- 1 root root 0 Sep  2 10:11
35 /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file
36 root@fireball / #
39 It's not world readable from my understanding.  Only root can read or
40 write that file.  I then used touch to create test.file2 within Konsole
41 and got this:
44 root@fireball /etc/portage/patches/net-libs # ls -al
45 /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file*
46 -rw------- 1 root root 0 Sep  2 10:11
47 /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file
48 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep  2 10:14
49 /etc/portage/patches/net-libs/test.file2
50 root@fireball /etc/portage/patches/net-libs #
53 It appears Konsole creates a world readable file while Krusader
54 doesn't.  To be honest tho, I sort of think Krusader is doing it
55 correctly.  It does mean I have to change it for portage to work but it
56 should be set to portage since it is what is using/reading the file
57 anyway.  While it sort of annoys me that I forget to change the file,
58 I'm not sure I want to change the setting, since it makes sense to me
59 that it does it that way.
60
61 At least now we know why it errors out with a permission problem tho.
62 Most likely, unless someone else is using Krusader as I am, not many
63 will run into that problem.
64
65 Thanks for pointing that out because I was curious as to why it started
66 doing that way.  We can blame this on Dolphin making it difficult to run
67 as root.  That's why I switched.
68
69 Dale
70
72
73 Oh, sorry for being so original with the file names.  ROFL