From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Prevent depclean from removing Python-2.6?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 20:37:29
1 On Tuesday 10 May 2011 16:13:41 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2011-05-10, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:40 on Tuesday 10 May 2011, Grant
4 > > Edwards
5 > >
6 > > did opine thusly:
7 > >> I ran emerge --depclean the other day on one of my machines and it
8 > >> removed Python 2.6. I was using Python 2.6 as my "default" python,
9 > >> and depclean's removal of it broke a _lot_ of stuff. About a half
10 > >> day's worth of hassle later I had Python 2.6 re-installed and my
11 > >> system was again usable.
12 > >>
13 > >> In order to avoid the same circus on my other machines, how do I
14 > >> prevent emerge --depclean from removing Python 2.6?
15 > >
16 > > Put that slot in world:
17 > >=dev-lang/python:2.6
18 > >
19 > > I suppose there are better and more automagically elegant ways of doing
20 > > it, but this works.
21 >
22 > Thanks!
23 >
24 > (you need to leave out the '=').
25 >
26 > > I think the issue happens because portage does not take eselect
27 > > choices into account when building it's dep graph, it only uses the
28 > > DEPENDS in ebuilds.
29 >
30 > Apparently so. It seems like it ought to pay attention to eselect.
31 > If I've explicitly configured my system to use 2.6 instead of 2.7,
32 > removing 2.6 doesn't seem like a good thing...
33
34 I am not sure I understand:
35
36 If you eselect python 2.7 and run python-updater (and revdep-rebuild just in
37 case) I would think that you *should* have a working system. Unless some
38 particular package is hardcoded to use 2.6 things should not really break.
39
40 Am I wrong here?
41 --
42 Regards,