From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Prevent depclean from removing Python-2.6?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 02:30:08
1 On 2011-05-10, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> Apparently so. It seems like it ought to pay attention to eselect.
4 >> If I've explicitly configured my system to use 2.6 instead of 2.7,
5 >> removing 2.6 doesn't seem like a good thing...
6 >
7 > I am not sure I understand:
8 >
9 > If you eselect python 2.7 and run python-updater (and revdep-rebuild
10 > just in case) I would think that you *should* have a working system.
11
12 I have a number of python libraries installed that don't have ebuilds.
13 At one point some of them weren't compatible with 2.6. I don't know
14 if that's still the case, but I don't have time right now to go
15 through that exercise on three machines. So I'm sticking with python
16 2.6 for the time being.
17
18 > Unless some particular package is hardcoded to use 2.6 things should
19 > not really break.
20 >
21 > Am I wrong here?
22
23 It depends on what python apps/libraries you depend on. I'm sure
24 everything that was installed via emerge would be OK.
27 Grant