From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] should my computer really be able to speak russian?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 04:12:37
1 I noticed while updating to Gnome 2.16 today that gnome2-user-docs
2 took a long time (38 min +), and most of that time was spend on
3 versions of the documents in languages I don't speak. After trying a
4 few things, I found that disabling the nls use flag in scrollkeeper
5 reduced the gnome2-user-docs compile down to under a minute.
6
7 It got me thinking...I speak only English, my fiancee speaks English
8 (well, and some French, but she doesn't need our computer to), so I
9 thought, hm, is nls support needed *anywhere?*
10 So I disabled the use flag globally to test, and discovered probably
11 30 packages that want to be rebuilt, from glibc to vim to coreutils to
12 audacious.
13
14 If I only need a monoglot computer, would I break anything by
15 disabling nls support?
18 Ryan W Sims
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list