From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] should my computer really be able to speak russian?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 04:33:56
1 Ryan Sims wrote:
2 > I noticed while updating to Gnome 2.16 today that gnome2-user-docs
3 > took a long time (38 min +), and most of that time was spend on
4 > versions of the documents in languages I don't speak. After trying a
5 > few things, I found that disabling the nls use flag in scrollkeeper
6 > reduced the gnome2-user-docs compile down to under a minute.
7 >
8 > It got me thinking...I speak only English, my fiancee speaks English
9 > (well, and some French, but she doesn't need our computer to), so I
10 > thought, hm, is nls support needed *anywhere?*
11 > So I disabled the use flag globally to test, and discovered probably
12 > 30 packages that want to be rebuilt, from glibc to vim to coreutils to
13 > audacious.
14 >
15 > If I only need a monoglot computer, would I break anything by
16 > disabling nls support?
17 >
18 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
19
20 This is the part that matters:
21
22 > There is also additional localisation variable called LINGUAS, which
23 > affects to localisation files that get installed in gettext-based
24 > programs, and decides used localisation for some specific software
25 > packages, such as kde-base/kde-i18n and app-office/openoffice. The
26 > variable takes in space-separated list of language codes, and
27 > suggested place to set it is /etc/make.conf:
28 >
29 > Code Listing 3.5: Setting LINGUAS in make.conf
30 >
31 > # nano -w /etc/make.conf
32 > (Add in the LINGUAS variable. For instance,
33 > for German, Finnish and English:)
34 > LINGUAS="de fi en"
38 I think that will help you. I have -nls in mine too. So both should
39 not hurt anything.
40
41 Hope that helps.
42
43 Dale
44
46
47 That paste looks HTML. Can someone confirm that it is sending as text
48 only? I have Seamonkey set up to send text only to this list.