From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making a init thingy. Step two I guess.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 20:45:06
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> OK. Sort of dealt with the LVM part so now to step two. I'm trying to
4 >> follow this:
5 >>
6 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
7 >>
8 >> Then I get confused. I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost here. In
9 >> there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to the init
10 >> directory. Then below that it says to use busybox. Well, which is it? Do
11 >> I do both of those or just one?
12 >>
13 > It's been a while for me but I believe it's both. I think busybox is
14 > the thing that gives you command line tools like cd, ls, pwd, etc.
15 > However you also can include applications in your initramfs that give
16 > you more access to the hardware or the net.
17
18 That's what I was thinking to. I know busybox does a LOT of things but
19 I didn't think it was a nano replacement either. OK. I got both of
20 those in there at least. First problem dealt with I guess. Wonder what
21 else I should put in there too. < scratches head >
24 >> I also tried to figure out Dracut but it seems like a work in progress or
25 >> something. I can't seem to find any Gentoo docs for it. I found a Redhat
26 >> doc but that's not exactly Gentoo.
27 >>
28 >> Am I starting to work on this to soon? Maybe wait a while longer until some
29 >> more stuff gets sorted out?
30 >>
31 >> Dang, I'm full of questions today. ;-)
32 >>
33 >> Dale
34 > I'm just reading some Dracut stuff myself. I figured I might as well
35 > get educated. I likely won't actually build it and try it for a few
36 > days at the soonest, but it's good to get prepared. Cheers to you for
37 > doing that.
38 >
39 > - Mark
42 Yea, it's either learn this or find a new distro. Still haven't ruled
43 out the later tho. Just going to try at least.
44
45 Dale
46