From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Making a init thingy. Step two I guess.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 20:55:53
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> OK.  Sort of dealt with the LVM part so now to step two.  I'm trying to
7 >>> follow this:
8 >>>
9 >>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
10 >>>
11 >>> Then I get confused.  I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost here.
12 >>>  In
13 >>> there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to the init
14 >>> directory.  Then below that it says to use busybox.  Well, which is it?
15 >>>  Do
16 >>> I do both of those or just one?
17 >>>
18 >> It's been a while for me but I believe it's both. I think busybox is
19 >> the thing that gives you command line tools like cd, ls, pwd, etc.
20 >> However you also can include applications in your initramfs that give
21 >> you more access to the hardware or the net.
22 >
23 > That's what I was thinking to.  I know busybox does a LOT of things but I
24 > didn't think it was a nano replacement either.  OK.  I got both of those in
25 > there at least.  First problem dealt with I guess.  Wonder what else I
26 > should put in there too. < scratches head >
29 Right. I don't think it replaces nano. If you want to edit in that
30 environment than I think you need to include an editor.
31
32 Note that one of the initramfs requirements for applications is that
33 they need to be built as 'static'. (I think) so that they don't
34 require libraries or other things that aren't yet mounted.
37 >>> I also tried to figure out Dracut but it seems like a work in progress or
38 >>> something.  I can't seem to find any Gentoo docs for it.  I found a
39 >>> Redhat
40 >>> doc but that's not exactly Gentoo.
41 >>>
42 >>> Am I starting to work on this to soon?  Maybe wait a while longer until
43 >>> some
44 >>> more stuff gets sorted out?
45 >>>
46 >>> Dang, I'm full of questions today.  ;-)
47 >>>
48 >>> Dale
49 >>
50 >> I'm just reading some Dracut stuff myself. I figured I might as well
51 >> get educated. I likely won't actually build it and try it for a few
52 >> days at the soonest, but it's good to get prepared. Cheers to you for
53 >> doing that.
54 >>
55 >> - Mark
58 > Yea, it's either learn this or find a new distro.  Still haven't ruled out
59 > the later tho.  Just going to try at least.
60 >
61 > Dale
62
63 Nahh...you're smarted than becoming an Ubuntu guy. Of course, if I'm
64 wrong maybe you'll become an Ubuntu guy... ;-)
65
66 - Mark