From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Bellsouth dial-up, trying to anyway. :-(
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:59:17
1 On Friday 01 June 2007 23:24, Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3
4 > Well, that didn't help any. I also forgot to mention that I do have it
5 > set up on Kppp to use pap/chap. It doesn't work either. I don't know
6 > where LCP came from. Any way to force it to disable that in ppp options?
7
8 You can use the option silent so that pppd does not send any LCP packets to
9 initiate the connection, until the ISP has sent first a valid LCP packet.
10
11 > I'm not sure but maybe it is something to do with my modem. I had a
12 > different modem when I used my brothers account a long time ago. That
13 > is all that has changed on my end.
14
15 I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here! wvdial shows that you have a V34
16 modem, when BellSouth's website talks about how to configure V90 and V92.
17 Could it be that you need something <aheam!> more modern? As far as I can
18 figure they say that you should have correction control and compression
19 enabled on your modem. Can yours do that?
20
21 Not withstanding the above, your modem only sends packets but seems to receive
22 nothing back from your ISP. Have you changed the serial port, or the serial
23 cable, or the serial connector/adaptor to the modem? If you have by mistake
24 used a null modem as opposed to a straight through RS-232 serial cable the
25 connection is unlikely to work (properly).
26
27 Do you have another modem to try it with? My ISP connection problems were
28 isolated down to the specific modem (which was a winmodem anyway). When I
29 tried with a different modem (still softmodem but with a V.92 std) the
30 telephone numbers worked fine.
31
32 If none of the above works then I am at a loss. It'll be down to using
33 minicom and building scripts to troubleshoot the connection one step at a
34 time . . . may be easier to get a better modem?
35
36 Good luck.
37 --
38 Regards,