From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Bellsouth dial-up, trying to anyway. :-(
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:29:51
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> On Friday 01 June 2007 11:51, Dale wrote:
6 >>> On this, I turned the volume up and it answers the phone just fine. It
7 >>> starts the handshake part then connects at 26400 like is usually does.
8 >>> The only difference is that BellSouth does not seem to send a login
9 >>> prompt and my system does know what to do so it just tries to connect
10 >>> blind as a bat without sending the login/password.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> This indicates that you have set it up to use link control protocol (LCP)
14 >> which is the first part of establishing a PPP link, but BellSouth may be
15 >> using CHAP?
18 >>> We have caller ID here and it works fine. My brother who uses windoze
19 >>> and lives next door uses them and it works fine for them. I may try it
20 >>> again to see if anything has changed. Maybe it needed time to use the
21 >>> caller ID to see we are allowed to connect.
22 >>>
23 >>> I'm open to ideas though. I have tried Kppp, wvdial and pon and get no
24 >>> joy out of it at all. No worky. :-(
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> I assume that you have tried out the different authentication methods in kppp
28 >> (pap/chap and what not). Not sure if the use of tcpdump and, or wireshark
29 >> would show anything particularly revealing here? This would be more
30 >> meaningful if you compare with a dial up number that actually works.
31 >>
32 >> >From what I understand BellSouth use 'TCP header compression' which I believe
33 >> requires the vj-max-slots option enabled in pppd, but don't know for sure
34 >> what the number should be, if this is enabled by default, etc. (you could try
35 >> from 2 to 16 and see what gives).
36 >>
37 >> Additionally, a chat with the ISPs' sysadmin might help (if need be with
38 >> giving you a login script). If their system works with OSX which I believe
39 >> it does, it would probably work with Linux too.
42 > You may have hit on something good there. I disabled vj a long time
43 > ago because I was having trouble with it. I took that out and will
44 > try again. The funny things is, I used this at my brothers once and
45 > it worked fine.
46 >
47 > I'll post back what I find out.
48 >
49 > Thanks much.
50 >
51 > Dale
52 >
53 > :-) :-) :-)
54 >
55 > --
56 > www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
57 >
58 > Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.
59
60 Well, that didn't help any. I also forgot to mention that I do have it
61 set up on Kppp to use pap/chap. It doesn't work either. I don't know
62 where LCP came from. Any way to force it to disable that in ppp options?
63
64 I'm not sure but maybe it is something to do with my modem. I had a
65 different modem when I used my brothers account a long time ago. That
66 is all that has changed on my end.
67
68 Any more ideas?
69
70 Dale
71
75 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
76
77 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.