From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to work with etc-updates.
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:21:44
1 On 8/31/05, Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thanks everyone for your help. I will try using Marks rules and start
3 > using dispatch-conf to be able to roll back any changes that don't seem
4 > to work.
5 > Jerry
8 Darn, that's scary! OK, if you're gonna follow someone as blind as me
9 le me expand these a bit so that I can say I really tried...
12 > Mark Knecht wrote:
15 > >My rules are:
16 > >
17 > >1) The update was put there for a reason.
18 > >
19 > >2) If it's a file in /etc/initd then I update it automatically.
20
21 This rule is still true. I am not a programmer and will never edit an
22 init script. For me these are 100% updated ASAP.
25 > >3) If it's a file in /etc/conf.d then I update it very carefully.
26
27 This rule is true but needs some expanding on. We all edit a few
28 /etc/conf.d files, for hostname, rc for whether to use a tarball or
29 not, etc. I know the 5 or 6 that I edit. If the etc-update is for one
30 of those files then I generally go very carefully. Mostly I'll let
31 etc-update do it's thing, but I look very carefully at all changes,
32 and then I go back and redo my edit by hand if it's necessary when
33 etc-update is done.
34
35 However, today I did an emerge and etc-update wanted to do something
36 to /etc/conf.d/spam. Since I know I do not edit that file I just let
37 it do the update. No problem.
40 > >4) If it's a file in /etc/, /etc/X11, or elsewhere the I update it
41 > >very carefully but possibly not right now.
42
43 This rule is still true. My experience is that xorg.conf is often more
44 heavily modified by me so I don't want that getting changed. I will
45 often make a copy of my current file and then let etc-update do it's
46 thing and then go back and redo my work by hand again. It's tedious,
47 and I know that many others would think it strange what I do, but
48 seems to be the safest for me.
51 > >5) Anything else, I go slow. Maybe I look for messages from others on
52 > >this list having problems before I do something.
53
54 Still true unless it looks like a file that I consider system oriented
55 in which case I just let it happen and hope for the best. Linux is a
56 tool for me. I don't do system stuff myself so if the devs want it
57 changed let it change.
60 > >My experience is that rules 2 & 3 account for 80-90% of the updates.
63 Hope this helps.
64
65 Good luck,
66 Mark