From: Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to work with etc-updates.
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:00:53
1 Thanks everyone for your help. I will try using Marks rules and start
2 using dispatch-conf to be able to roll back any changes that don't seem
3 to work.
4 Jerry
7 Mark Knecht wrote:
8
9 >On 8/30/05, Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com> wrote:
12 >>As I understand the process etc-update lists new configuration files
13 >>provided by the program authors. I have tried to define some rules for
14 >>myself to determine how to handle these new files.
15 >>
16 >>1. If I made a change to a file I will never allow the new config file
17 >>to overwrite the old file.
21 >I know one person who operated like this but I didn't agree. I think
22 >that you have to (eventually) do the update. The developers change
23 >things in these files also. If you don't change you don't get the
24 >updates, or things (possibly) don't get activated.
28 >>2. If the new config file is a new default file I will accept the new file.
29 >>
30 >>3. I will never change a file that is program code, (I am not a programmer).
31 >>
32 >>Are these rules sane? What kind of problems could I run into doing this?
33 >>What would be some better rules to use? I have tried dispatch-conf but I
34 >>still have to make the same decisions. Am I missing something?
39 >My rules are:
40 >
41 >1) The update was put there for a reason.
42 >
43 >2) If it's a file in /etc/initd then I update it automatically.
44 >
45 >3) If it's a file in /etc/conf.d then I update it very carefully.
46 >
47 >4) If it's a file in /etc/, /etc/X11, or elsewhere the I update it
48 >very carefully but possibly not right now.
49 >
50 >5) Anything else, I go slow. Maybe I look for messages from others on
51 >this list having problems before I do something.
52 >
53 >My experience is that rules 2 & 3 account for 80-90% of the updates.
54 >
55 >Cheers,
56 >Mark
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list