From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optimizations for low-bandwidth IMAP?
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 13:19:28
1 On 7 Jul 2009, at 11:05, Grant wrote:
2
3 >> I need to optimize web browsing for a slow cell phone data
4 >> connection.
5 >> I'd like to browse faster and use less data ($). I've installed
6 >> ImgLikeOpera for Firefox which is great at selectively blocking
7 >> images, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do?
8 >>
9 >> - Grant
10 >
11 > Can anyone offer advice for IMAP? I'm using Thunderbird and it's slow
12 > and data-heavy.
13
14 I believe that the nature of IMAP is to be fairly network intensive.
15
16 When I use my laptop for mail, it usually takes some time to sync
17 messages that have appeared in the last couple of days since I last
18 did so (on my laptop). Typically contents of the inbox appear within a
19 minute or two, but I would guess that clicking on any of my mailing
20 list folders may cause a delay of several minutes.
21
22 It's not the raw number of minutes that's the problem, but how the
23 mail client just tends to feel sluggish unless you leave it alone for
24 a few minutes to sync up with the IMAP server. One _knows_ there are