From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optimizations for low-bandwidth IMAP?
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:20:43
1 >>> I need to optimize web browsing for a slow cell phone data
2 >>> connection.
3 >>> I'd like to browse faster and use less data ($). I've installed
4 >>> ImgLikeOpera for Firefox which is great at selectively blocking
5 >>> images, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do?
6 >>>
7 >>> - Grant
8 >>
9 >> Can anyone offer advice for IMAP? I'm using Thunderbird and it's slow
10 >> and data-heavy.
11 >
12 > I believe that the nature of IMAP is to be fairly network intensive.
13 >
14 > When I use my laptop for mail, it usually takes some time to sync
15 > messages that have appeared in the last couple of days since I last
16 > did so (on my laptop). Typically contents of the inbox appear within a
17 > minute or two, but I would guess that clicking on any of my mailing
18 > list folders may cause a delay of several minutes.
19 >
20 > It's not the raw number of minutes that's the problem, but how the
21 > mail client just tends to feel sluggish unless you leave it alone for
22 > a few minutes to sync up with the IMAP server. One _knows_ there are
23 > new messages there, one knows that there should be messages in the
24 > gentoo-users folder newer than 4 days old, but they don't appear when
25 > you click on it.
26 >
27 > In my case I'm always on broadband when I use my laptop away from
28 > home, my mailserver is at my house, and the bandwidth bottleneck is
29 > the upstream of my home ADSL line at 288k. I would dread to think what
30 > it would be like at dial-up speeds (i.e. slow cell phone data
31 > connection), although to be fair my mobile does ok syncing inboxes
32 > only. The solution with that, too, is to leave the phone alone,
33 > downloading for some minutes, and then come back to it when it's
34 > finished.
35 >
36 > I use Mail.app on a Mac as my mail client, but I can't imagine
37 > Thunderbird to be much worse.
38 >
39 > Stroller.
40
41 OK, no compression options or anything?
42
43 By the way, if anyone finds themself in Tanzania and in need of a
44 prepaid cell data line, I found the ultimate:
45
46 http://www.vodacom.co.tz/docs/docredir.asp?docid=3530
47
48 Good speed too. Tigo is almost as cheap but incredibly slow.
49 Zain/Celtel is as fast, but at nearly 5 times the price of the 250MB
50 Vodacom bundle. The only option I didn't try was Zanzibar Telecom.
51
52 - Grant