From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:06:15
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:31:20 +0100
3 > Nicolas Sebrecht<nsebrecht@×××××.fr> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Then again, using initramfs is yet-another-component waiting to
6 >>> break.
7 >>>
8 >>> Knowing Murphy's Law, it will one day fuck up everything.
9 >> And the mdev alternative won't follow this law?
10 >
11 > It's not immune to it, just statistically less likely to be affected.
12 >
13 > mdev sans initramfs is a less complex solution than udev plus
14 > initramfs. Ergo, all other things being equal, less bits to break.
18 Yep. I *think* I got a init thingy to work but I'm still not sure and
19 apparently since there was no replies to my other thread, no one else
20 knows either. From the messages in dmesg, it looks like I have tho.
21 Thing is, if I reboot and the init fails, I have no real clue how to fix
22 it. I know this because I ran into this same thing on Mandriva, along
23 with the dependency problems that is well known. The fact that Gentoo
24 has a simple booting process is what really got me interested in
25 Gentoo. If we are going down this road, I may check and see if the
26 dependency problems are fixed. As bad as it is to say, Gentoo is
27 getting more like other distros that I left or didn't want to bother
28 with. Makes me wonder. I know I am a unique old bird but I bet I am
29 not alone in this.
30
31 It sort of comes down to this, if I can't boot because of a broken
32 init*, I may just save my /home and data drive and install something else.
33
34 Just my $0.02 worth and it ain't worth more than that I'm sure.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
42
43 Miss the compile output? Hint:
44 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"