From: Spidey <spideybr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS for Windows - does any Wiki solution 'just work'?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:52:26
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:38, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I've got a 2 year old Gentoo machine that got patched together using a
4 > lot of small hard drives which worked fine for what I used the machine
5 > for 2-3 years ago but the machine isn't getting used much anymore. The
6 > processor, memory & MB are all reasonably good - i5-661 & 4GB - but
7 > my laptop & VM compute server are both faster - so I was wondering
8 > what I might do with the box. I saw a Wired article last night about a
9 > guy building a NAS box using Debian which got me thinking. I've got a
10 > bunch of 1TB Green drives which would make a good base for storage so
11 > there's no cost in doing this, but I don't know anything about network
12 > attached storage that just works out of the box with Windows clients
13 > and I have NO desire (or time) to spend learning stuff that's very
14 > Windows specific.
15 >
16 > If there is a good solution for me it needs to support both Win XP and
17 > Win 7 machine and shouldn't require anything be added to the Windows
18 > VM.
19 >
20 > Years ago I tried this basic guide:
21 >
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/quick-samba-howto.xml
23 >
24 > I don't remember why but I didn't have much luck with it. However it's
25 > been updated and cleaned up a lot so maybe it's OK.
26 >
27 > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
28 >
29 > Cheers,
30 > Mark
33 The easiest solution, most used, is probably SAMBA. You should give it a
34 chance again.
35
36 Claudio Roberto França Pereira (a.k.a. Spidey)
37 hardMOB - HTForum - @spideybr
38 Engenharia de Computação - UFES 2006/1