From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: media-gfx/blender-2.71 dependencies
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 20:07:51
1 On 09/07/2014 18:44, James wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
5 >> Please don't use pastebin sites - if your output is too long to copy and
6 > paste into the body of the message,
7 >> then please attach it as a plain text file. If you name it output.txt then
8 > most people, with GUI mail
9 >> clients, will be able to read it just by double-clicking.
10 >
11 >> Most pastebin services expire old pastes periodically (not to mention that
12 > pastebin services are hardly
13 >> profitable, and close down all the time) whereas these mailing list
14 > messages are archived in multiple
15 >> places and are referenced for years.
16 >
17 >> If you attach these files as plain text then they'll be archived, useful
18 > to other people with the same
19 >> problem in the future.
20 >
21 > I'll agree, this is excellent advise. However, I use game.org to read
22 > and post to gentoo-user. So how do you attached a txt file to
23 > those postings via gmane? Options to get the txt file attachemnent into the
24 > proper record?
25
26 gentoo-user is a mailing list. It receives mail to the list address and
27 forwards them on to all subscribers. It's all done by mail.
28
29 Now someone has built an email<->web_thingy gateway. It is deficient by
30 design and as you point out doesn't do big posts AT ALL.
31
32 That's too bad, but you chose that option and now you must deal with
33 it's deficiencies and shortcomings.
34
35 Sorry for the tone but that really is how it is.
43 > Gmane refuses to post long replies. Gmane allows one to read and post
44 > from a variety of machines, particularly useful when one locks up
45 > one's main workstation, which I have done of several occasions, and have
46 > to use gmane to recover with the aid of the gentoo-user list:
47 >
48 > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user
51 > curiously,
52 > James