From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netfilter tarpit target
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 03:19:10
1 Ryan Curtin wrote:
2 > Instead of using iptables, you may want to try DenyHosts
3 > (app-admin/denyhosts). It's a simple Python script that parses through
4 > /var/log/secure (or whatever your sshd logs to) and finds IPs who have
5 > failed authentication a certain number of times, then adds those IPs to
6 > /etc/hosts.deny. Naturally, the threshold for blocking a host can be
7 > configured, and many other options can too. It's worked great for me,
8 > and I've used it for about half a year now.
9 >
10 > The website for the DenyHosts project is:
11 > http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/
12 >
13 > I hope that I read your question right and that this will help.
14 >
15 > Ryan Curtin
16 > ryan@××××××××××××.com
21 Thanks, Ryan, but I really want to stick with the tar pit solution. I
22 had already solved the real problem when I asked for help here. I want
23 to play with the tar pit module for..let's say "academic purposes" ;-)
24
25 Unfortunately I had no luck. Clean kernel, the latest patch-o-matic, the
26 latest iptables and the same result. Obviously gentoo-sources is
27 incompatible with tar pit module. ;-(
28
29 I'm attaching here a file called "tarpit.txt" containing the commands I
30 issued and the relevant output from them in hope that someone could show
31 a mistake I'm repeating.
34 Best regards,
35 Daniel

tarpit.txt text/plain