From: Ryan Curtin <ryan@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netfilter tarpit target
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 11:20:43
1 On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 04:03:48PM +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Hi, guys
3 >
4 > Recently I was looking through my logs when I got pissed off (again) by
5 > the big number of lines showing something like 'sshd: auth. error:
6 > unknown user "XXX" from "some IP address"'. I wrote a script which
7 > automatically sets all connections from those IP addresses to be
8 > dropped. Next I decided to change "-j DROP" with "-j TARPIT" and I
9 > realized that gentoo-sources doesn't provide the netfilter target "TARPIT".
10
11 Instead of using iptables, you may want to try DenyHosts
12 (app-admin/denyhosts). It's a simple Python script that parses through
13 /var/log/secure (or whatever your sshd logs to) and finds IPs who have
14 failed authentication a certain number of times, then adds those IPs to
15 /etc/hosts.deny. Naturally, the threshold for blocking a host can be
16 configured, and many other options can too. It's worked great for me,
17 and I've used it for about half a year now.
18
19 The website for the DenyHosts project is:
20 http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/
21
22 I hope that I read your question right and that this will help.
23
24 Ryan Curtin
25 ryan@××××××××××××.com
28 <www.igglybob.com>