From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 01:37:19
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Seeing as Linus himself has stated that he has absolutely no intention
5 > of changing the license on the kernel, your idea is unworkable.
8 My idea is not to mess with either the GPL2/3 applications nor the
9 gplv2 kernel. What ever is under the "Gentoo" umbrella could conceivably
10 be changed to a BSD style license. In those areas where it cannot then
11 just leave it GPLed or code around the GPL until it is minimized.
12 I could easily see a FPGA partioned into a multi processor system,
13 with published GPL code on one core and code under a new, Entrepreneurial
14 license on a different part of the FPGA cores. In fact, one could network
15 two x86 machines, one running as a GPL linux system and the other
16 running Entrepreneurial code from a different license, as a development
17 platform.
18
19 In my opinion we are on the verge of truly distributed computing where
20 Open Source GPL(ed) systems and devices will integrate with old fashion
21 (closed source) products, in a rapid fashion. The Gentoo devs could get out
22 in front of the revolution, and spawn lots of Entrepreneurs, or they
23 can follow MS and leave the GPL shackles around their necks. (I sure
24 hope they do not try to cross the river)....
25
26 The point I was trying to may (and not really a hard sell but just to
27 illuminate moving gentoo into more of an "Entrepreneur distro")
28 would be to build the future of Gentoo (or a fork) on a better license
29 model than GPL. GPL has worked reasonable well, but things have changed
30 quit a lot. It's time for folks to leverage Open Source to make money.
31 You want to live on Massa's Farm, that's your choice. I have tasted
32 (economic) freedom and it drives me mad how the masses of folks just
33 'get in line' with what they hear over the loud speakers......
34
35 Oh well, I'm done with this issue. I don't think I can help, lifting the
36 (Gentoo) devs nor the greater Gentoo user base out of economic despair , if
37 folks do not agree with moving to a different licensing scheme, for the unique
38 work that characterizes and surrounds Gentoo.
39
40 GPL is a vow of poverty, IMHO. It sure will be interesting to see where
41 Daniel and the trustees take/leave the distro........ My guess is
42 Daniel has seen, smelled and maybe lightly tasted the flavors of
43 economic success, and some influential folks and poked him in the
44 ribs and said (pissst, isn't gentoo your prodigy? take that puppy
45 public and cash in.....)
46
47 just a hunch,
50 James