From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:22:41
1 On Monday 14 January 2008, James wrote:
2 > OK, then why does the GPL not make a simple rule change. If you have
3 > grossed over 1 million dollars on your linux product or service, then
4 > you have to open source your code.
5
6 Because it *already* says that if you redistribute your code you already
7 *have* to open source it.
8
9 I suppose by implication you mean that companies grossing less than 1
10 million dollars are not required to open source their stuff. Well, that
11 flies in the face of the 4 freedoms that the GPL is built on.
12
13 A change like that is incompatible with GPL2 so we come back to the same
14 mess we currently have with GPL3. The Linux kernel is licensed GPL2
15 ONLY (Linus removed the "or later" clause) and that can't be
16 realistically changed. The only known way to do it would be to get the
17 agreement of a large group of kernel code copyright holders, take all
18 their code currently in the kernel, strip out everything else, rewrite
19 the now missing bits and re-license the result. Note that this will
20 involve huge amounts of developer work, for no discernible benefit to
21 the developer.
22
23 Seeing as Linus himself has stated that he has absolutely no intention
24 of changing the license on the kernel, your idea is unworkable.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list