From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] major problem after samba update
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 07:10:41
1 On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 05:11:08 PM covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > > covici@××××××××××.com writes:
4 > > > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
6 > > >> > lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 > > >> >> covici@××××××××××.com writes:
8 > > >> >> > Hi. I just upgraded from samba 4.1.x to 4.2.7 and in one of my
9 > > >> >> > shares,
10 > > >> >> > I can not access any subfolders of that share. It usually gives
11 > > >> >> > me some
12 > > >> >> > kind of windows permission error, or just location not available.
13 > > >> >> > Windows tells me I can't even display the advanced security
14 > > >> >> > settings for
15 > > >> >> > any folder. Anyone know what they did and how to fix? There is a
16 > > >> >> > hard
17 > > >> >> > blocker to downgrading, so maybe something is up.
18 > > >> >> >
19 > > >> >> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
20 > > >> >>
21 > > >> >> Do they have a changelog which you looked at? Can you mount these
22 > > >> >> shares from a Linux client?
23 > > >> >
24 > > >> > These are on a Linux server, so there is no problem there.
25 > > >>
26 > > >> Can you definitely mount the share from a remote Linux client without
27 > > >> problems?
28 > > >>
29 > > >> > Changelog doesn't say anything but the version number.
30 > > >
31 > > > I don't have any remote linux client and this is samba, used so that
32 > > > windows can access the share.
33 > >
34 > > You could make a copy of everything in the inaccessible share, make a
35 > > new share with settings identical to the settings of the shares that are
36 > > still accessible when copying has finished, and try to access the new
37 > > share with a remote client.
38 > >
39 > > If you can access the new share, either something with the old one is
40 > > weird, or you have changed something like permissions or extended
41 > > attributes by copying.
44 > > If you cannot access the new share, try a different kernel version (or
45 > > try a different kernel version first). I've had a case in which a
46 > > kernel would freeze/panic when the directory contents of a directory
47 > > that was exported via NFS were displayed with ls on a NFS client.
48 > >
49 > > IIRC samba uses kernel support on the server. Perhaps you have a
50 > > version mismatch between the new samba version and what the kernel
51 > > supports.
52 >
53 > The share is my whole system, so obviously I cannot copy to a new
54 > share. I have one share working correctly -- the files under that share
55 > are owned by the user that I am logging in as, so if I log in as root,
56 > you would think I could access everything, so this is very strange.
57
58 Not necessarily, samba doesn't allow root automatically access to everything.
61 Joost